Friday, January 27, 2017

Nailed to the Cross

Jesus said, “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” John 14:15 and in 1 John 5:3 he makes this statement, “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. ” And finally in Revelation 14: 12, John quotes the Third Angels Message; “ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Like any government, God has laws, and if those laws were nailed to the cross, like so many Evangelicals persist, then there would be no sin, and Christ would have died in vain.  “…for sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4. The understanding or should I say the misunderstanding of Colossians 2:14, “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;” has been misapplied as to the Ten Commandments being nailed to the Cross. But it was the hand written ordinances that were nailed to the Cross, not the ten commandments. The hand written ordinances were placed in the side of the Ark of the Covenant,(“Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee”), while the Ten Commandments were placed inside of the Ark. “And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.” Exodus 25:16


We all know that it is wrong to murder, steal, rape, lie, etc. etc. But it appears that the only commandment that most Evangelicals apply this reasoning to is the Fourth Commandment, which tells us to “Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy”.  But it is one of God’s Ten Commandments written in stone, in the very heart of the other nine.  And as I posted yesterday, that God’s saints will be keeping the Commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus. “Here is the patience of Saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” And Jesus being our Example kept His Fathers Commandments including the Fourth; “And when the Sabbath was come, he began to teach in the Synagogue…

So, since I love God, it is my desire to serve Him, mostly by keeping His Commandments.  And although I am far from being perfect, (“for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23), I can through His strength overcome sin (“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13) and wear His robe of righteousness.  HAPPY SABBATH!


No comments:

Post a Comment